Recipe by Dee514
A delicious, easy Pesto sauce (without pine nuts)! You can substitute your favorite shape of pasta for the linguini if you prefer. (posted in answer to a recipe board request).
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 2 cups tightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (16 ounce) box linguine
- 1⁄3 cup pasta cooking water (reserved)
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread the walnuts in a small skillet and heat over medium to medium-low heat.
- Stir often until walnuts are lightly toasted (about 4 minutes).
- Remove walnuts from heat.
- Combine walnuts, basil, cheese and garlic in food processor.
- Process until mixture is finely chopped.
- Add the chicken broth and process until pureed.
- With processor running, add the olive oil in a thin steady stream until blended and smooth.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions, in boiling, salted water, until firm (al dente).
- Reserve 1/3 cup of the pasta cooking water and set side.
- Remove pasta pot from the stove, add 1 cup of cold water to the pot to stop the cooking.
- Drain pasta.
- In a large bowl, toss the pasta with the pesto and the reserved"cooking water" until blended.
- Serve immediately.