Kozmic Blues's Note:
This recipe is adapted from a Neopolitan version of "Linguini and Clams in Red Sauce". I prefer the clams to be served in their shells over the pasta, never removed or chopped
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs littleneck clams, scrubbed well
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 2 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, coarsely chopped (preferably San Marzano)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 -1 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 lb linguine
- freshly chopped basil, for garnish
- 1A Neopolitan custom is to let the clams soak in very cold water with a tsp of salt and the juice of one lemon for about 1/2 hour.
- 2This will remove any sand or grit in the clams.
- 3This step is optional, but I do suggest that you at least scrub the outer shells of the littlenecks quite well with a vegetable brush.
- 4Bring a large stockpot of water to a boil for the linguini.
- 5In another pan, heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- 6Add shallots and crushed red pepper and sauté until shallots are softened.
- 7Add chopped garlic and anchovies, and saute until anchovies begin to melt into the olive oil, careful not to let garlic get too dark.
- 8Carefully add chopped tomatoes with their liquid.
- 9Stir to combine, and add dried basil and oregano.
- 10Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer sauce until ready to cook clams and linguini.
- 11Add little neck clams to the simmering tomato sauce, stir to coat well, and cover.
- 12While clams begin to steam in sauce, generously salt the boiling pasta water, add linguini, and cook until al dente, (about 7 minutes).
- 13As clams begin to open, I remove them to a large bowl and cover, until pasta and remaining clams are cooked.
- 14Drain pasta, and transfer to a serving bowl.
- 15Top with tomato sauce and toss with chopped fresh basil.
- 16Finally, add cooked clams over top the pasta, still in their shells.
Browse Our Top Clams Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Linguini With Red Clam Sauce (Linguini Con Le Vongole Al Sugo)
Serving Size: 1 (386 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 508.3
- Calories from Fat 108
- Total Fat 12.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 52.5 mg
- Sodium 145.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 31.1 g