Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe from RealSimple magazine, Dec-Jan 05 issue. This was very quick, easy and delicious.
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 (2 lb) butternut squash, peeled,seeded,and diced (4 to 5 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 ounces soft fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 (1 lb) package linguine, cooked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Drain on a paper towel, then crumble or break into pieces; set aside.
- Drain all but about 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat from the skillet.
- Add the squash and garlic to the skillet and sauté over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the broth and salt.
- Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the squash is cooked through and softened, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Add half the goat cheese and stir well to combine.
- Place the cooked linguine in a large bowl.
- Stir the sauce into the linguine and toss well to coat.
- Drizzle with the olive oil and add the reserved bacon, the remaining goat cheese, and the pepper.
- Serve immediately.
This gets high points for ease: once the squash is peeled there's nothing to it! But I was not completely happy with the flavor. To me the bacon was overwhelming. I might try the same idea again, without bacon and maybe roasting the squash first to bring our its flavor.
An excellent combination of flavors. This is my new favorite way to enjoy squash.
this is awesome and so easy...your friends will be very impressed...