Prep 1 hr
Cook 3 hrs
I found this recipe clipping within my Mother's Recipe Box. It looks very old and well used. I have seen other Lindy's recipes listed within Zaar, however the ingredient amounts do vary. I hope you will enjoy it. Cooking time includes time to chill.
- 1 cup flour, sifted
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon peel, freshly grated
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature (2 1/2 pounds)
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons orange peel, freshly grated
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon peel, freshly grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 4 cups strawberries, washed and hulled
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water, cold
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine flour, sugar and lemon peel.
- Make a well in center and drop in egg yolk, butter and vanilla.
- Quickly work together until well blended.
- Wrap in waxed paper and chill 1 hour.
- Detach bottom from springform pan.
- Roll out about 1/3 of the dough 1/8" thick.
- Fit over bottom of buttered 9" springform pan.
- Trim and save extra dough.
- Bake circle of dough about 8-10 minutes or until golden.
- Butter sides of pan and place sides over bottom.
- Turn up oven to 500 degrees F.
- Roll out remaining dough and line pan 3/4 of the way up sides.
- Blend together cream cheese, sugar, flour, grated peels and vanilla until smooth.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Blen in cream thoroughly.
- Turn cheese mixture into springform pan and bake 10-12 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 200 degrees F and bake 1 hour.
- Cool in a draft-free place and top with Strawberry Glaze (** Recipe Follows).
- Remove sides of pan and refrigerate cake.
- To Make Strawberry Glaze:.
- Reserve the largest and most attractive berries for the top of cheesecake.
- Crush about 1 cup berries in a saucepan; add sugar, water, cornstarch and salt.
- Stirring constantly,boil mixture for about 2 minutes.
- Blend in butter.
- Remove from heat, pour into blender and puree.
- Let cool slightly.
- Arrange whole berries on cheesecake and spoon glaze over all.
- Chill several hours before serving time.
This recipe should come with a caution-WARNING: this New York-style cheesecake makes sweet Southern church ladies turn into ravenous wolves, lol! My dad has been baking since he was a teenager (since his mother was from China and did not bake American desserts like pie and cheesecake, my dad baked them for himself.) He is known for his awesome strawberry cheesecake, and Lindy's Cheesecake with Strawberry Glaze is the only recipe that he uses (since before I was born). My father was banned from making this decadent dessert for our church's bake-off, so he made my mom's recipe for strawberry pie and won anyway. Lindy's cheesecake's rich, smooth filling and flaky pastry lightly flavored with tangy citrus zests and strawberry topping make an irresistible flavor combination. When my dad made a couple of these cheesecakes for my friend's wedding shower, the church ladies were literally fighting over leftovers. Nevertheless, I still managed to sneak him home one sweet slice! Thank you, Bev, for sharing this world-famous classic.
Terrific cheesecake! I loved the pastry crust. So unusual these days. We all loved it.