These are a big hit around the holidays when having parties or having baby, graduation and wedding showers! This recipe uses left over ham from a smoked shoulder. The flavor is WONDERFUL, and so GOOD! This is a real treat! My gram always made it for us growing up, as she made us smoked shoulder quite often... I always helped her grind the meat, and that I was the "Big Cheese" getting to do that part LOL... Now I just use my blender, and it works like a charm, as long as you don't overload it. You can use chunks of chopped ham in this recipe, but it's not quite as tasty! Try some of my other delicious sandwiches: Linda's Tuna and Olive Sandwich (Sandwiches) or Finger Rolls Linda's Egg Salad Sandwich (Sandwiches) or Finger Rolls Linda's Bean and Mayonnaise Sandwich (Sandwiches)
- Grind the ham shoulder with a meat grinder. You can use a blender for this also, just make sure you don't put in too much at a time.
- Put ground meat in a bowl and add mayonnaise, mustard, and relish. Mix well.
- Chill until ready to make sandwiches or rolls.
- When ready to make sandwiches, put a good amount of meat filling on the roll.
- Add a slice of onion, or as much as you want. I love making these with vidalia onions, they are so sweet.
- Put the top piece of bread or roll on, and serve.
This is the best ham salad that I have ever made!! Using smoked ham really adds the flavor. Super Delicious!
My husband actually made this, he wanted to use up our large leftover Easter ham. The only thing he did was add more mayonnaise to it, and it turned out wonderful. It made great sandwiches, but mostly my hubby ate it on crackers. We had a huge ham and it made tons, but it only lasted a couple days cause it was so good!
Very good and just like I remembered them. Thanks for sharing and taking me back to my childhood.