Recipe by Secret Agent
This is very close in flavor to the Apple Butter you can find and roadside stands in Amish Country, in Lancaster PA, very dark and very thick. I have been making apple butter since 1979 and when I adapted it to the crock pot it was lots easier and less messy. Store in the refrigerator in a jar for two weeks or can in half-pints according to your canner instructions.
- 1 gallon applesauce
- 3 cinnamon sticks, left whole
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple pie spice
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir everything together in your crock pot and turn to high for one hour to get it started.
- Turn to low and let cook for 24 to 36 hours, stirring down a few times a day. You may need to take the lid off for several hours to let the water evaporate. I usually have to let it go six hours without the lid but my crock pots were invented when dinosaurs roamed the earth.
- Jar it up and either process it or store in the refrigerator.