Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A very tasty, light, refreshing soup. I sometimes make this ahead and keep it warm in the crockpot. I also don't use nearly as much oil as the recipe calls for. From Bon Appetit.
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 corn tortillas, strips
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup white onion, chopped
- 6 slices limes
- Heat 1 cup oil in medium skillet over medium heat.
- Working in batches, add tortilla strips; fry until golden, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer to paper towels; drain.
- Mix broth and next 4 ingredients in large saucepan; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes.
- Add lime juice; season with salt and pepper.
- (Tortilla strips and soup can be made 1 day ahead. Store strips airtight at room temperature. Cover soup and chill; rewarm before continuing.)
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken to skillet; sauté 3 minutes.
- Add tomato, bell pepper and onion.
- Sauté until chicken is cooked through, about 2 minutes longer.
- Place 1 lime slice in each of 6 bowls.
- Ladle soup over.
- Mound tortilla strips and chicken mixture in center of each.
Yummy soup! I love the lime in it. When I saw your mention of the crock pot I decided to use it for cooking the soup (so I skipped the oil). Those lime wedges are a must!
This was really good. I think the name "lime soup" might make some think it's going to taste like a savory limeade but it doesn't. It tastes like a tortilla soup sans the tomato base with a hint of lime. After tasting this, I added a little garlic powder to my soup. I also stuffed corn tortillas with the mixture to make quesadillas to dip into the soup! Made for Photo Tag 2008.
Not sure if the other review I wrote went through or not, but I thought this soup was grand!! I added just a bit more cumin and cilantro, just because we love those a lot! Made for ZWT4 CAFE ZMAAK Gypsies!