Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
A slow-cooker traditional chicken & rice soup with a twist - lime and lime zest, to be exact! Sounds delicious! (cook times are provided, but use your discretion based upon your specific cooker)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans fat-free chicken broth
- 1 celery rib, sliced diagonally into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 carrots, sliced (1/2 inch thick slices)
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 lb chicken breast, boneless and skinless (cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon thyme (snipped or 1/4 tsp. dried)
- Combine the broth, celery, onion, bay leaf, and chicken in the crock pot. Cover and cook on Low just until the chicken is almost cooked through, 4-5 hours. Stir in the rice, cover and cook on Low until the rice is tender - 1 1/2 - 3 hours. Discard the bay leaf. Stir in the lime juice and zest, black pepper and thyme. Cover and cook 5 minutes.
The aroma therapy alone from this cooking is worth making this yummy soup. That said, you'll certainly want to enjoy every last morsel and drop. Simply delicious and a great comfort food as well. Made for Culinary Quest 2014.
Great bright flavor for such a simple recipe! We really enjoyed it. I made it in my pressure cooker and didn't adjust for the liquid loss and the rice absorbed most of the liquid. It was more of a stew, but was still outstanding. The lime really makes this dish. Made for Culinary Quest 2014.