Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I first had this cake at a dive resterant where they charged over $4.00 a piece and their meals were only $5.50. You had to be there fast to get a piece, too. Even writing this recipe makes me very hungry! Can use 1/3 cal. cream cheese but NOT fat free. It doesn't work.
- 1 chocolate wafer pie crust, ]make in cheesecake pan
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 limes, juice of
- 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Whip egg yolks and sugar to light lemon color.
- When yolks fall from the beaters in a ribbon, mix in vanilla and lime juice.
- In separate bowl, whip cream cheese until smooth.
- Slowly add egg mixture.
- Pour into chocolate crust.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 35 to 45 minutes (The center should wiggle a little, but 80% of the cake should be stiff).
- Remove and cool.
- Mix sour cream, sugar and vanilla for topping.
- Add to cake and bake for 10 minutes longer.
- If possible, let set in refridgerator for a couple of days before eating.
I haven't tried this recipe yet, but I am guessing that the reason this recipe did not turn out for a couple of people is because it calls for "juice from three limes" instead of a specific measurement. Three large limes could water down the recipe a lot more than 3 small ones and make it too wet to cook through. It sounds good, though! I am going to try making it with small limes.
What a disaster! The center of this cheesecake would not set no matter how long I left it in the oven. I used 25% less fat cream cheese, so that was not the problem. The flavour was nice but 90% went down my garberator. Luckily I made this for family (bad enough) and not a special occasion. Do not waste your time or money - there are too many good cheesecake recipes out there.
I absolutely loved this cheesecake. We had this for dessert after a mexican meal. I used light cream cheese and I wasn't sure what a wafer crust was so I used an Oreo crumb crust. I was worried that the sour cream topping wouldn't be sweet enough but it was perfect. Thanks for the great recipe. Rita