Recipe by Kimke
If you haven't had ceviche, you are in for a real treat. You can make this with shrimp, fish, or scallops. Be aware that the seafood is not cooked in the traditional way, but is "cooked" in the lime juice mixture. There is a chemical process that occurs when the acid of the citrus comes in contact with the fish is similar what happens when the fish is cooked, and the flesh becomes opaque and firm. This ceviche is fresh and delicious!! Enjoy!
- 1⁄4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb shrimp or 1 lb firm sea bass or 1 lb halibut, skins removed and cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 3 scallions, white and light-green parts only,thinly sliced on the bias
- 1 cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- 1⁄4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 avocado, peeled,pitted,and cut into 1/2 inch dice (optional)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a nonreactive bowl, combine juice, jalapeño, ginger, and oil.
- Add shrimp/fish, and toss.
- Cover with plastic.
- Chill until flesh is opaque, 1 hour or overnight, stirring occasionally.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss, and serve.