Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is my Grandmothers recipe and it is so very good. I don't know where she got the recipe. I wanted to post this so others could enjoy too. Cooking and prep times are approximate. I have not made this lately. Yummy comfort food. Enjoy!!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs, seperated
- 1 (8 ounce) package frozen strawberries
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- vanilla wafer
- Mix sugar and flour togather.
- Add enough milk to sugar/flour to make paste.
- Stir in egg yolks to paste.
- Stir in remaining milk.
- Cook over double boiler until thick.
- Add strawberries.
- Cook about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add butter and vanilla.
- Line bottom of a 10 cup or 2.5 L bowl with vanilla wafers. (recipe calls for Jackson wafers but I use Nilla brand)
- Pour half of strawberry mixture over wafers.
- Repeat layers.
- May make meringue with egg whites or top with whipped cream.
Sweet, creamy yumminess with chunks of strawberries swirled in it? Goooood. Cookies buried inside of this? Really good! It's rich and 'old fashioned' feeling and my kids are still sitting at the table, quietly licking their spoons and puppy dog eyeing me for more. It is quite sweet (not a bad thing at all!), but it's strawberry pudding, I suppose that's to be expected. Thank you for posting, and I will be making this again!
Made for Fall 2011 PAC.