Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
From a cookbook I sent to my swap partner FloridaNative. Cooking Light Best Chicken Recipes. This sounds so wonderful and I love that it is healthier for all lifestyles.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2⁄3 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 24 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 2⁄3 cup flour (lightly spooned into measure)
- 3 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth, fat-free & low sodium (or use a homemade broth)
- 9 ounces parmesan cheese, shredded (divided)
- 4 ounces fat free cream cheese (block style)
- 7 cups vermicelli, cooked (about 1 lb uncooked pasta)
- 4 cups cooked chicken breasts, chopped (about 1 1/2 lbs)
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Melt butter in a large stockpot coated with cooking spray over medium high heat.
- Add onion, celery, pepper, salt, and mushrooms; saute 4 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Add sherry and cook 1 minute.
- Gradually add flour to pan, cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly with a whisk (mixture will be thick).
- Gradually add broth, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently so it does not burn. Remove from heat after 5 minutes.
- Add 1 3/4 cups Parmesan cheese and cream cheese, stirring with whisk until cream cheese melts.
- Add pasta (precooked) and chicken and stir until blended.
- Divide pasta mixture between 2 (8 inch square) baking dishes coated with cooking spray.
- Combine breadcrumbs and remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and sprinkle evenly over pasta mixtures in the two baking dishes.
- Bake at 350F for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and let stand 15 minutes prior to serving.
I really liked this! It tasted nice and rich without being calorie-laden......I'll make this quite often for a recipe that tastes like it should be "guilty" but isn't. I did use the fat-free cream cheese, but didn't even miss the full fat taste. Thanks for sharing!!