Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a wonderful light custard recipe. I have made it many times and it cures my craving for the more sinful versions.
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 3⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract or 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- nonstick cooking spray
- Spray six 6-ounce custard cups with cooking spray.
- Set aside.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup sugar in a heavy saucepan; place over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until sugar melts and syrup is light golden brown.
- Pour into custard cups; let cool.
- Combine milks in a medium saucepan and heat until bubbles form around edge of pan.
- Combine egg substitute, 1/4 cup sugar, salt, and almond extract; beat well.
- Gradually stir about 1 cup hot milk into egg mixture; add to remaining milk, stirring constantly.
- Pour mixture evenly into custard cups; cover with alumninum foil.
- Place custard cups in a shallow pan; pour hot water to a depth of 1 inch into pan.
- Bake at 325 for 25 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean.
- Remove cups from water, and chill at least 4 hours.
- To serve, loosen edges of custard with a spatula; invert onto plates.
i made this flan for a dinner party last night that was made up entirely of low fat dishes. i wasn't too confident about how this would be received and was i surprised. it is fabulous - everyone loved it. definitely not as rich as most flan but delicous and satisfying non the less. i'm just starting to try cooking "low fat" and i will definitely make this again.