Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a lighter version of the popular Indian/Pakistan chicken dish.
- 4 chicken quarters
- 3⁄4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ginger (pulp)
- 1 teaspoon garlic (pulp)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- red food coloring
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- Rinse, skin, and pat dry the chicken.
- Make 2 slits in the flesh of each piece and set aside.
- Mix together the yogurt, garam marsala, ginger, garlic, chilli powder, turmeric, coriander, lemon juice, salt, a few drops of red food coloring, and oil; beat so that all ingredients are well mixed.
- Cover the chicken with the mixture and allow to marinate for 3 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 475 F and transfer the chicken to an ovenproof dish.
- Bake the chicken for 25 minutes until the chicken is cooked right through and browned on the top.
- Remove from the oven, place on a serving dish, and garnish with salad leaves, lime wedges, and a quartered tomato.
Love this recipe! I use boneless skinless thighs or breasts as an even healthier option.