Prep 7 mins
Cook 20 mins
This meal is so easy to throw together on a weeknight, or even for a weekend lunch! It is based on a recipe from one of Linda McCartney's vegetarian cookbooks, and then modifed by me. I usually serve this with a pre-packaged Fiesta Taco Salad, or any nice, crisp green salad. You can also add sliced black olives for a garnish. We really enjoy this quick and easy meal!
- 2⁄3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1 1⁄4 cups light sour cream
- 1 (10 ounce) can green enchilada sauce
- 2 ounces diced green chilies
- 4 flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix half of the sour cream with onions, diced green chilies, and one cup of the cheese.
- Brush each tortilla with green enchilada sauce.
- Place sour cream mixture in tortilla, placing it length-wise down the middle of tortilla.
- Roll up tortilla and place in baking dish, seam side down.
- After placing all enchildas in baking pan, spoon remaining sour cream on each enchilada.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese, then pour the remining enchilada sauce over enchiladas.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
I want to try this recipe again with a few changes. I would half the amount of sour cream and enchilada sauce. It's too soupy with all that sauce. I might also add tofu or seitan to try to fill out the enchiladas.
The only ingredient substitution I made was corn tortillas for flour. I put them together a bit differently than the instructions called for. I spooned enough enchilada sauce on the bottom of the pan to give nice coverage. I mixed ALL of the ingredients together (except sauce) and used it to fill the tortillas. I didn't bother to brush the tortillas with the enchilada sauce. After the tortillas were filled and in the pan, I added the remaining enchilada sauce to the sour cream cheese mix. Poured it over the enchiladas and covered the whole thing with more cheese. I covered it with foil to bake the 20 minutes; uncovered and baked an additional 5 minutes to melt the cheese. They turned out delicious! Helping Hands, thanks for the recipe. God Bless Linda McCartney!
I was just looking for a simple (non-meat)recipe with sour cream and tortillas as I had these on hand. I did modify this a bit adding diced green capsicum to onions and sour cream mix along with jalapenos. I don't know what green enchilada sauce is (Australia) but had some mexican chilli relish so added that. The dish turned out really nicely and is only the second time I've tried enchiladas. I like this recipe for its simplicity - it can easily be adapted to incorporate whatever veges you have on hand, or can be served with heaps of salad to up the nutritional value - I think this is the great thing about all mexican style food - on its own, can be a bit naughty, but always goes so well with loads of lettuce, tomato and capsicum! Will add photo when I work out how...