Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
The best way to describe rock cakes are as an ugly, cake-like, drop cookie. They have a lovely light texture with a crisp outer. I have altered the traditional recipe to include cranberries. These serves are pretty large. Australian measurements used.
- Preheat oven to 200 deg C (fan forced oven).
- Sift flour into large bowl then add remaining dry ingredients.
- In a microwave safe jug melt margarine. Add milk and combine using a whisk. Add egg whites to this mix and thoroughly whisk.
- Add milk mixture to dry ingredients and mix well.
- Divide mixture into 12 and drop onto a baking tray coated with cooking spray (or line with baking paper). Sprinkle extra sugar over the top of each cake.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until pale golden.
DH loved these, I felt they were a tad dry but tasted good with all the fruit. They were nice and crunchy on the outside and soft inside, just like you said! I subed splenda for the sugar on top, worked out nicely Thanks for posting.
Absolutely loved this recipe! Although I would also add in 2 tbsps of sugar/sweetener into the mixture. To make them even less fat and more creamier, substitute the milk for fat-free natural yogurt or you could use vanilla (although I have not tried this) - delicious!
Really like these & about to make a second batch. May put a couple of tablespoons of sugar in the dough as well this time, but I did love how the sweetness comes mostly from the fruit. Thanks for posting Mischka!