Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Homemade marshmallows are a special treat that everyone enjoys. I make them for holidays,cold winter nights to float in hot chocolate and nothing beats homemade marshmallows in s'mores around the fire pit!
- 3 (1/4 ounce) packagesfrom a box unflavored gelatin
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, pure
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Combine the gelatin and 1/2 cup cold water in your electric mixer's bowl and let it sit while you prepare the syrup.
- Combine the sugar,corn syrup,salt and 1/2 cup of water in a small saucepan or small pot.
- Cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves then turn up the heat to high and cook till the syrup is 240 degrees on the candy thermometer.
- Now remove from the heat.
- Put the mixer on low fitted with a whisk attachment and slowly pour the hot syrup into the bowl of dissolved gelatin.
- Put the mixer on high speed and whip till it becomes very thick, this could take around 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add vanilla & mix thoroughly.
- Dust generously a 8 x12 inch baking dish (use glass or ceramic) with confectioner's sugar.
- Pour the mixture in to pan and smooth out the top and dust with more confectioner's sugar.
- Let the marshmallow mixture sit out uncovered overnight or until it dries out.
- Run a knife dipped in confectioners' sugar around the sides of baking dish to loosen the marshmallow.
- Turn out on a cutting board and cut in to squares or use cookie cutters to shape.
- Dust with more confectioners' sugar.