Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a lighter, lower fat version. By using skim milk and evaporated milk it cut's calories significantly without losing the great taste. And it's also safe to use fresh eggs here because they are cooked. Recipe from Womans Day. Cooking time does not include chill time.
- 2 quarts skim milk (8 Cups)
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 4 whole eggs
- 2 large egg whites, from large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup light rum (optional)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup evaporated low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- In a medium heavy saucepan, mix skim milk, 3/4 cup sugar and nutmeg and stir over medium heat until bubbles appear around the edges.
- Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs with egg whites until well blended. Slowly whisk in 2 cups scalded milk mixture and return mixture to saucepan.
- Stir over medium-low heat for about 8 minutes or until mixture is just under the boiling point and is lightly thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in rum and vanilla.
- Refrigerate eggnog for at least 2 hours.
- One hour before serving: Pour the evaporated milk into a small bowl and place in the freezer for 45 minutes or until it just begins to freeze around the edges.
- Remove from freezer and beat with an electric mixer until foamy.
- Add 2 tablespoons of sugar and beat for 5 Minutes or until stiff peaks form when beaters are lifted.
- Gently fold the mixture into the eggnog, pour into serving glasses and sprinkle lightly with nutmeg.