Prep 45 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is my own version of a homemade banana pudding.
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs, separated,yolks,slightly beaten (set egg whites aside)
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 dash pumpkin pie spice
- 4 bananas
- 1 box vanilla wafer
- Pudding: In a large saucepot over medium heat, add cornstarch, sugar, eggs, water, milk, margarine, vanilla extract and pumpkin pie spice.
- Bring to a boil stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool while preparing meringue.
- Meringue: In a medium mixing bowl add the egg whites and beat on high speed with electric mixer until stiff peaks start to form.
- Add a dash of salt and slowly add in 1/2 cup sugar a little at a time until all sugar has been added.
- Continue beating egg whites until stiff peaks have formed.
- (Tip: if when you turn meringue upside down and the peaks stay put-the meringue is ready to be used.) Assemble pudding: In a large oven proof pan, layer vanilla wafers, bananas and pudding mixture; ending with vanilla wafers on top.
- Spread meringue over vanilla wafers and bake at 400 degrees just until the meringue has turned a golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
We really enjoyed this. It was very flavorful, and delicious. We really tasted the pumpkin flavor, which made an extra treat to this. Other than we it was well enjoyed by all.