Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Okay, I know it sounds nasty, but I promise that it isn't. A missionary friend brought this recipe back from a little town in Mexico where they were building houses. At first I thought "no way am I eating that", but once I tried it, I was surprised and pleased!
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, very finely chopped
- 1 cup water
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon onion, chopped well
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 cups croutons, browned and buttered
- Cook lettuce in water for a few minutes until the lettuce is tender. (Do not throw away the water).
- Heat onions in the butter until sauteed, then add to the lettuce mixture.
- Add chicken broth, evaporated milk and nutmeg to the lettuce mixture, then add salt and pepper to taste.
- Lower the heat immediately and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve topped with browned and buttered croutons (approximately 1/4 cup per serving).