Here's a variation on the lettuce wraps that are so popular at the P.F. Chang restaurant chain. It calls for pork instead of chicken but there's no reason you can't make it either way. It's good as an appetizer or an entree. Note: I recommend stir frying the pork in batches. Cook half of it and remove. Cook the rest, then combine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, for stir frying (as needed)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb lean pork, coarsely chopped (loin or butt)
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1/2 lb fresh green beans, cut in 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water (or unsalted chicken stock)
- 1/2 cup diced bamboo shoot
- 1/2 cup diced water chestnut (*see note at end of directions)
- 3/4 cup chopped peanuts
- 2 tablespoons chinese oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar (more or less to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- hoisin sauce
- lettuce leaf
- 1Heat about 2 Tbsp of the oil in a wok or large skillet; stir in the garlic and 1/2 tsp salt. Quickly add the pork and stir fry until it's just cooked. Stir in the dry sherry and remove contents of the wok to a bowl.
- 2Heat another 2 Tbsp oil; add the beans and 1/2 tsp salt and stir fry about a minute. Add the water, cover and let cook for 30 seconds. Add the bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, oyster sauce, sugar and cooked pork. Stir fry long enough to blend all ingredients - about a minute and a half. Stir in the sesame oil and serve immediately. (Do not make ahead of time planning to reheat because you'll lose the crispness and crunch).
- 3To serve: each diner fills a lettuce leaf with the pork mixture and spoons on some hoisin sauce to taste.
- 4*fresh jicama is a great substitute for canned water chestnuts.
Browse Our Top Asian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lettuce Packages
Serving Size: 1 (278 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1015.2
- Calories from Fat 616
- Total Fat 68.4 g
- Saturated Fat 11.9 g
- Cholesterol 133.8 mg
- Sodium 1798.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.4 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 66.7 g