Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
One of my absolute favorite recipes
- 14 3⁄4 ounces creamed corn
- 3 -6 slices bacon, cut in strips (the more, the better)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 5 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 cups boiling water
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- chopped chives (to garnish)
- Make this in a dutch oven.
- Fry bacon in the dutch oven until almost crisp. (Recipe calls for 3 slices of bacon but I use way more than that.) Take bacon out and cut it up.
- Add onion & potato to the dutch oven and saute lightly (do not brown). Stir in the creamed corn, the sugar, and the bacon.
- Add boiling water and cook on top of stove over low heat for 30-35 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Alternatively, cover and bake in the oven for 45 minutes at 350.).
- After cooking, add milk and continue to cook until very hot. (Original recipe calls for 2 egg yolks to be tempered in and 1 T of butter to add at the end, but I don't like either of those.).
- Garnish with chopped chives or parsley.
This was very tasty. But, I thought a little to thin. I like a thick chowder. Next time I will add a little flour to thicken after step 3.