Recipe by Happy Hippie
Yet another recipe I discovered on the "World Hearth Circle of International Cooking." This looks promising as a meatless main dish or a side dish.
Top Review by susi1662
I haven't made this yet, but other recipes I have seen have a spicy tomatoe sauce on top, then garnished with crisp fried onions. This seems like it would be better with the sauce. Maybe if I combined two recipes? hmmmmm....
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in pan, add onion and fry for 3 minutes.
- Add lentils, water, pepper and cumin.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Add 2 cups water and bring to a boil.
- Add rice and salt and continue to boil.
- Then reduce heat to low, cover the pan and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes. Serve.