Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I developed this recipe when raising four children on a limited budget. My family likes this better than meat tacos. It has been a hit with guests as well. Anyone who likes lentils will enjoy this variation.
- 1 package red lentils or 1 package green lentil
- 1 onion, minced (use more or less to taste)
- 2 cloves garlic
- favorite taco seasoning or homemade salsa
- salt and pepper (optional)
- sliced avocado
- alfalfa sprout
- chopped onion
- grated cheese
- sour cream
- diced tomato
- corn tortilla (You may use small flour Tortillas if you prefer)
- Cook lentils with the garlic and minced onions, according to package directions until they are the consistency of refried beans.
- I use less water and add as I need it so I do not have to drain any water.
- Add packaged taco seasoning or fresh salsa and salt and pepper.
- The consistency should be thick.
- Warm tortillas.
- Add a spoon of lentil mixture, and your favorite garnishes.
- Serve and enjoy.
- I like to do a taco bar and let everyone make their own.
This is a tough one for me to rate. I thought they were kind of bland, but there is not a lot of direction about how much taco seasoning to use. Next time I'll up it. That said, my kids devoured these and asked for more. And whenever I can get good healthy food into them without complaining, well that makes me happy! I never could get them to mash like refried beans, but we liked the texture with a little bite. I fed four people well tonight and froze the rest for another meal. We're thinking lentil taco salads next time! Thanks for a good budget friendly one to try!