I purchased swiss chard the other day and was looking for something to do with it. I stumbled upon a recipe which I promptly revamped. This has a little "kick" provided by the cayenne pepper. The kick can be enhanced by serving jalapeno pepper sauce on the side. Hope you enjoy!
- 1 cup dried lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 1 bunch swiss chard leaf, rinsed and roughly torn, touch stems removed
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 red potatoes, washed, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, scrubbed, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 5 -6 cups chicken broth or 5 -6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tablelspoon chopped fresh marjoram
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Place all ingredients in a 5 to 6 quart crockpot, stir, and cook for 4 hours on high or 6 to 8 hours on low.
- Lentils and other vegetables should be cooked but not overly soft.
- Remove bay leaves, stir and serve with fresh baked cornbread and jalapeno pepper sauce on the side.
This is really good & relatively quick. I used a can of diced tomatoes instead of the tomato paste because I prefer brothier soups. It was still pretty stewy with all the veggies. Tasted nice & healthy. :)
This is a very flavorful soup, and very easy to put together. I got started too late to use a crockpot, but it was easy to adapt to the stovetop. I used about 2 T. olive oil and sauteed the onion, carrots, garlic, and potato until soft. Then I added the spices and seasonings, the tomatoes, the chard, and the lentils. I combined that well and added the vegetable broth, brought it to a boil, then simmered for 1-1/2 hours. This is a very hearty and filling soup. Thanks for sharing. Made for ZWT7.
We have discovered my slow cooker is a lemon and after hours on high we had to put in a pot and cook on the stove. Used a mixture of red and green lentils, 1 lb swiss chard, 2 white potatoes, 12 cups pork broth and dried herbs.