Recipe by PaulaG
I purchased swiss chard the other day and was looking for something to do with it. I stumbled upon a recipe which I promptly revamped. This has a little "kick" provided by the cayenne pepper. The kick can be enhanced by serving jalapeno pepper sauce on the side. Hope you enjoy!
Top Review by Elmotoo
This is really good & relatively quick. I used a can of diced tomatoes instead of the tomato paste because I prefer brothier soups. It was still pretty stewy with all the veggies. Tasted nice & healthy. :)
- 1 cup dried lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 1 bunch swiss chard leaf, rinsed and roughly torn, touch stems removed
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 red potatoes, washed, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, scrubbed, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 5 -6 cups chicken broth or 5 -6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tablelspoon chopped fresh marjoram
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all ingredients in a 5 to 6 quart crockpot, stir, and cook for 4 hours on high or 6 to 8 hours on low.
- Lentils and other vegetables should be cooked but not overly soft.
- Remove bay leaves, stir and serve with fresh baked cornbread and jalapeno pepper sauce on the side.