Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This lentil soup is healthy, cheap and easy! You can add lots of different ingredients, depending on what you have on hand.
- 2 cups dry lentils
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
Other Ideas for Add-Ins
- extra vegetables (peas, spinach or bell pepper)
- garlic powder or cumin or dried cilantro or curry powder
- 1 bay leaf (remove before eating)
- fresh cilantro or fresh parsley
Substitutions for tomato paste
- 1 cup tomato sauce or 1 cup pasta sauce
- 1. In a large saucepan combine lentils, broth, onion, tomato paste, garlic, cumin and vegetables.
- (If you like, you can saute the onion, celery for a few minutes first, then add garlic and cumin for another minute before adding the rest of the ingredients).
- 2. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils are soft, 30 to 45 minutes.