Recipe by nadia1
Found this recipe on the back of the package of red lentils, and loved it!
Top Review by UmmBinat
Good quick soup with the organic red lentils I used. I did double the ground cumin like another reviewer recommended and I'm glad I did so. I chose sweet paprika over turmeric and I had to use a canola olive oil mix because I was out of olive oil but recommend pure olive oil. I used a fresh lemon, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. I chopped up flat leaf parsley for garnish and served extra wedges of lemon on the side. I did not add bouillon and it really doesn't need it. I served this as a light lunch with a tomato salad (fresh lemon juice, chopped parsley, sea salt & olive oil) and some crackers. I would make this again.
- 2 cups red lentils
- 8 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric or 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 bouillon cubes (optional)
- parsley (for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash lentils. Add to water and bring to boil. Cover, cook for 1 1/2 hour, stirring occasionally.
- When lentils are tender, add dry spices and bullion (optional) to the pot.
- Sauté onions and garlic in a frying pan with olive oil will golden brown, and then add to soup.
- Simmer for 5 more minutes. Turn off heat and add lemon juice, stir,.
- Garnish with parsley,.