Recipe by Rambling Rose
Delicious lentil soup made complete with quinoa for a healthy grain. I altered a recipe (that I can no longer find) when eating an anti-inflammatory, gluten-free, allergen elimination diet. The potatoes or quinoa can be left out. The diet is over, but this soup still gets made weekly. It's healthy, tasty, and easy to save and reheat later. Could be made vegetarian/vegan by using vegetable broth.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 pinch cumin seed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 potato, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth or 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup dry lentils (I like to use half red and half green lentils)
- 3⁄4 cup dry quinoa
- 1⁄2 cup beans (I used navy) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In large pot over medium heat, sauté onion until clear but not browned.
- Add carrots and celery, sauté a few minutes.
- Add garlic, sauté another minute.
- Add remaining spices, sauté another minute.
- Add broth, increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes.
- Rinse lentils and quinoa well and add.
- If adding beans, add any time.
- Cover and turn heat down to low.
- Simmer for 45 minutes to an hour or more.