Prep 4 mins
Cook 25 mins
Got this recipe from a food bank to help teach people to cook with lentils. Wonderful recipe....vegetarian dish just do not add the meat but add 16 oz of frozen corn or a can of corn and tofu. You can change the heat by putting diced tomatos and mild chili seasonings. Don't forget the corn bread with this or garlic bread.
- 1⁄2 lb lentils
- 6 cups water
- 16 ounces reduced-sodium diced tomatoes
- 2 small sweet onions (diced) or 1⁄2 large sweet onion (diced)
- 3 garlic cloves (sliced)
- 1 low-sodium chili seasoning mix (regular, mild or hot)
- 14 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean hamburger (optional if vegetarian) or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chicken breast (optional if vegetarian)
- 15 ounces corn (optional) or 16 ounces frozen corn (optional)
- 1 diced fresh jalapeno pepper (vines removed) (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat sour cream (optional(about 1 tbsp. on each bowl)
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded for topping
- 6 -8 bread bowls or 1 loaf garlic bread
- 1 dash TABASCO® brand Chipotle Pepper Sauce, to taste
- Cook lentils according to pkg in a dutch oven -- bring water to a boil, add sorted lentils, reduce heat and cook for about 20 minutes. After about 10 minutes later, add the onions and garlic to the dutch oven. (Start corn bread now---just a idea).
- In a 14" non-stick skillet, add the hamburger into chunks. Optional: season the meat with onion powder and garlic powder. Cook until meat isn't raw. Drain the grease. Then add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and frozen/can corn and Jalepeno-if using it. Warm it up on medium-low heat.
- Now add chili spices to the kettle of lentils and stir in well. Pour in the skillet of meat and tomatoes to the lentils. Stir them in and cook for another 5 minutes for firm lentils. Optional: another 15 minutes if soft lentils.
- Serve in bread bowl with cheese and low-fat sour cream on top. OR serve with corn bread, cheese and sour cream. Or serve with a couple of slices of garlic bread, 1 tbsp sour cream and a sprinkle of cheese. Enjoy!