Recipe by pattikay in L.A.
This is a simple, hearty stew adapted from the More with Less Cookbook. The crushed red pepper is my own addition, and of course it's optional if you don't like that sort of thing - but I like it to have a little zip.
- 2 -4 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 3⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 6 cups water (or stock)
- 3⁄4 cup lentils
- 28 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup shredded carrot
- 3⁄4 cup barley
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute celery, garlic and onion in butter in a large pan (I use a 5-qt dutch oven).
- Add water or stock and lentils.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, barley, carrots and seasonings.
- Simmer for 45-60 minutes, till barley and lentils are tender, adding more stock if necessary.