Lentil Barley Stew
photo by justcallmetoni
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups carrots, diced or sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 28 ounces plum tomatoes, chopped with their juices
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick (about 3 inches long)
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley, rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-low heat.
- Add the onions and carrots; cook, stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the cumin and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the lentils, broth, tomatoes with juices, brown sugar and cinnamon stick.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat slightly and cook for 5 minutes, partially covered.
- Add the barley, cover partially, and cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Wow! Very good stew. I changed it bit, from vegetarian to a meat stew. Browned the beef and used beef stock instead, but as is this would still be a 5 star rating. Like another reviewer here, I did have to simmer this closer to 2 hours to soften the lentils. Love the cumin/brown sugar/cinnamon twist. I make many different lentil soups, but this is now one of our top 3. :)
I decided to try this in the slowcooker,it came out very tasty-I prepared steps 1-4 and then transfered it all+the rest of ingredients to the "cooker" in the evening&stuck in fridge,started to cook on low the next morning as I left for work and in the evening it ready.Husband & I liked it, kids didn't :( Thanks
see 5 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<embed src="http://walkertracker.com/badge/v1/flashbadge.swf?id=Ms*Bindy&date=20070316" width="140" height="200" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" /></embed> <a href="http://walkertracker.com/walker.php?Ms*Bindy&i=1eb0d8f2e3b" title="A walking community for pedometer geeks">View Ms*Bindy's Step Blog at Walker Tracker</a>