Recipe by FrVanilla
Even avowed meat eaters will tuck into a vegetarian soup that’s this thick and hearty. Tip: If you’re serving toddlers, spoon their soup into a blender and purée until smooth; thin with milk or water if needed. From Todays Parent Magazine. I always remove 1-2 cups of the soup, purree and return it to the pot.
Top Review by amandamorehouse
This is easily the best soup to ever come out of my kitchen! My hubby and one-year old daughter loved it. Because I pureed some for my daughter I added a few extra frozen veggies, corn, peas, spinach and carrots. I will definitely be making this one often.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 stalks celery, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced, about 14 oz (425 g)
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- dried basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 6 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth or 6 cups chicken broth, divided
- 540 ml lentils, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium. Add celery, onion and garlic, and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add sweet potato, barley, oregano and basil, and stir to coat well. Add tomato paste and vinegar, and stir to combine. Add 5 cups (1.25 L) of the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 35 minutes, or until sweet potato and barley are tender. Stir in remaining broth, plus lentils and parsley; cook 5 minutes more, or until the soup is heated through.