Recipe by DrGaellon
This can also be made with quinoa (simmer the quinoa in water or stock for 10 minutes).
Top Review by Studentchef
This was a really great couscous recipe! I love the blend of lemon juice, onion, parsley and spices. It had a refreshing zip to it, and it makes for a nice side dish, both warm and cold.
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup couscous (I prefer whole-wheat)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- sea salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 red onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Toast the pine nuts briefly in a dry skillet over medium heat. This will take about 5 minutes, and stir constantly as they will burn easily. Set aside to cool.
- In a saucepan, combine the water, stock, and salt. Bring to a boil, then pour over couscous in a large bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let stand until couscous is tender and water has been absorbed, about 10 minutes. Cool slightly, then fluff with a fork.
- Stir in the pine nuts, lemon juice, red pepper, onion, cayenne pepper, cumin and parsley. Adjust salt and pepper if needed before serving.