Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
These make delicious finger food for parties. I found the recipe in a vegetarian cookbook but everyone appears to enjoy it. I am often asked for the recipe and people are always surprised to find out it has tofu in it. The instructions say "serves 2" and I would guess this makes about 12 or 15. Adjust herbs and seasonings to taste.
- 4 spring onions (roughly chopped)
- 1 inch piece gingerroot (peeled & chopped)
- 1 stalk lemongrass (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons coriander (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (roughly chopped)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 150 g firm tofu (drained)
- 40 g breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- olive oil
- Place the spring onions, ginger, lemon grass, coriander and garlic in a food processor and process lightly until mixed together and chopped, but still quite chunky.
- Add the soy sauce, tofu, breadcrumbs, egg and pepper and process until just combined.
- Using wet hands, take dessertspoonfuls of the mixture and pat into flat cakes.
- Lightly fry both sides in a non-stick fry pan that has been wiped over with oil or alternatively place on an oiled grill pan brush with oil and cook under a preheated grill until golden on both sides.