Crispy Baked Tofu Fingers/Nuggets (Low Fat)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1 (16 ounce) package extra firm tofu
- 1⁄3 cup tamari or 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄3 cup teriyaki sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin or 2 tablespoons white vinegar, sweetened with
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 (5 ounce) package Shake-n-Bake, original flavour
- nonstick cooking spray
- Wisk together tamari (or soy sauce), teriyaki, and mirin (or vinegar/sugar) Set aside.
- Cut tofu into 1/2 inch slices and then each slice into half lengthwise to get "fingers." If making "nuggets", cut tofu into 1 inch cubes. Place cubes or fingers into tamari marinade and place in fridge for at least an hour. (the longer you leave it, the more intense the flavour -- sometimes I make this ahead the night before and let it sit in the fridge overnight)
- After marinating, preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove tofu from marinade and shake off excess marinade. Place Shake 'n Bake mix in shallow dish or plate and coat each piece of tofu with the crumbs making sure to coat all sides. (press the tofu down into the mix to make sure it sticks well)
- Place breaded tofu on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed lightly with non-stick cooking spray and bake in oven for 10 minutes, flip tofu, then bake another 10 or until golden and crispy.
- Serve with BBQ sauce, ranch, marinara, teriyaki or any other sauce you desire! :).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I really like the idea of marinating the tofu to get some flavor in there. These turned out really nice, though be sure to spray the baking sheet with cooking spray. I thought it would be fine on my nonstick baking sheet, but when I went to turn them over, the breading ripped off of the side stuck to the sheet.<br/>My sole complaint on this recipe was that the nuggets were too salty. I used low sodium soy sauce, but not low sodium teriyaki sauce. Maybe that would have helped. Thanks for posting.