Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
A nice light cake to serve with all the fresh strawberries and raspberries that come with Spring Gardens. I've certainly guessed at serving size but it turns out a 10" cake
- 295.73 ml unbleached all-purpose flour, divided
- 6.16 ml instant yeast
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1 warm milk
- 147.89 ml unsalted butter, melted
- 4 eggs
- 14.79 ml lemon zest
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml water
- 118.29 ml lemon juice
- Grease a 10" tube pan.
- Combine 3/4 cup flour, yeast, sugar and salt.
- Combine warm milk and melted butter, gradually add to flour mixture, mixing for 2 minutes.
- Add eggs, remaining 1 1/2 cups flour, and zest.
- Beat vigorously for 2 minutes.
- Spread dough evenly into pan.
- over, let rise for 1 hour.
- Towards the end of the cake's rising time, preheat oven to 375F.
- Combine sugar and water in saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes, until the syrup thickens.
- Add lemon juice and remove from heat.
- Bake cake for 22-25 minutes, until tester inserted into center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven.
- Brush half syrup over cake and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Turn out onto a rack set over parchment or a pan.
- Brush remaining syrup over newly exposed bottom crust.
- Turn cake right side up onto plate and cool completely.
- Serve with whipped cream and berries.
Photo may be seen here (in Savor): http://feastyoureyes.smugmug.com/
I don't think that I have ever made a cake with yeast but it works great. The texture can best be described as a firm angel food. The lemon taste in the cake is very mild and with the ask for sugar (I used Splenda) it's not at all sweet. I added another 14 cup of Splenda to suite our taste. The glaze on the other hand packs a lemon punch when sampled but when it's absorbed by the cake it's wonderful. Mine set to make a crisp thin coating that crunched when sliced. I want to say that the recipe would work perfectly fine without the extra sweetening that I added for personal taste only. It's also fun to watch your cake rising! :D