- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, plus
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons freshly grated lemons, zest of
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting the cookies
Directions See How It's Made
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar; add the vanilla, the lemon extract, the zest, and the juice, and beat the mixture until smooth.
- Into the bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and the salt, and blend the dough well.
- On a piece of wax paper form the dough into a log 1 1/2 inches in diameter, using the paper as a guide.
- Freeze the log, wrapped in wax paper and foil, overnight, or up to three months.
- Cut the log into 1/8-inch slices with a sharp knife and bake the cookies 2 inches apart in the middle of a preheated 350°F oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the edges are just golden.
- Transfer the cookies immediately to racks, let them cool, and sift the confectioners' sugar lightly over the lemon thins.