Recipe by dicentra
I have been making these for years. They are really light and wonderful with a cup of strong tea.
Top Review by SavedbyGrace
This is a wonderful recipe! I've been making these for years from a BHG cookbook. I was glad to find that someone posted it online since I don't have the book anymore. One thing I remember doing differently is adding a topping to the cookie for more lemon flavor. Just mix a little sugar and lemon juice together (not sure of the ratio) and brush over the cookies while they are still hot.
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Stir vinegar into milk. Cream butter and sugar together until fluffy. Beat in egg and lemon peel.
- Sift together dry ingredients and add to the butter mixture, alternating with the milk. Beat after each addition.
- Drop from a teaspoon 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes (don’t let them brown). Remove from sheets and immediately transfer to cooling racks.