Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
This sandwich is so good. The tarragon and lemon zest really send it over the top. You can also use a cooked deli chicken instead to make this even faster. From Bon Appetit, August 2001.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast halves, about 3 breasts
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 12 slices rye bread with seeds
- 2 cups romaine lettuce, thinly sliced
- Bring large saucepan of salted water to boil.
- Add chicken breasts; reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until chicken is just cooked through, about 12 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to plate; cool.
- Mix celery, 1/2 cup mayonnaise, onion, tarragon, lemon juice, and lemon peel in large bowl to blend.
- Cut chicken into 1/2-inch cubes; stir into mayonnaise mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover; chill.).
- Arrange 6 bread slices on work surface.
- Spread with 3 tablespoons mayonnaise.
- Divide salad among bread slices.
- Top each with lettuce and second bread slice.
- Cut sandwiches in half and serve.
This makes a yummy chicken salad! I used store bought prepared chicken and chopped it up. The only change I made was to add avocado in place of the mayo on the bread and added alfalfa sprouts for the crunch. Just lovely! Made for Football Pool 2013.