Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the 1961 "Lutheran Favorites" of St. James Lutheran Church, Howard Lake, Minnesota. Submitted by Mrs. Luther Zech.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening (1/2 butter)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, unbeaten
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Combine first 6 ingredients and beat until smooth.
- Add last 4 ingredients all at once, mix well.
- Drop by teaspoonful on baking sheet.
- Flatten with a flat glass covered with a damp cloth.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes.