A family favourite, we all love lemon squares these are extra yummy! Source: an old newspaper clipping, from ????
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
LEMON GINGER TOPPING
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon peel, grated
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1⁄4 cup candied ginger, finely chopped
- icing sugar, for decoration
- In medium bowl or food processor combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until mixture starts to hold together.
- Press mixture into bottom of 8 or 9 inch square baking dish lined with parchment paper or make sure it is well buttered.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs with sugar until light and creamy.
- Mix flour with baking powder and stir into egg mixture.
- Add lemon peel and juice,coconut and ginger, stir well.
- Pour topping mixture over baked crust, bake for 20 minutes in 350 degree oven until just set.
- Cool on rack. Cut into squares. Dust with icing sugar, if desired.
- This will yield approximately 25 squares,depending on how you cut them.
- Serve and enjoy!
These are fantastic! I have been wanting to make lemon squares for quite a while, and when I found this recipe with candied ginger in it I had to give it a try. It tastes wonderful--not too "lemony"--just the right combination of sweet-tart. I added more zest than the recipe called for and that hasn't hurt them at all. I didn't have dessicated coconut so I used regular sweetned dried coconut--it made them a little more difficult to cut, but nothing too bad. I used the zest of 2 med. lemons (as well as a little lime zest I had on hand), but only about 1 1/2 lemons worth of juice.
I made these to celebrate a friend's birthday, knowing lemon was a favorite. What i could never have anticipated was how difficult it was to turn them over to him after having tasted one. Do you know that it is the single best lemon bar recipe in the WORLD? Good lord! My BF always complains that my signature key-lime cookies are "too citrus, too sour, too limey". Apparently, this recipe is exempt from such judgments because i could barely make out what he was saying around a sticky mouthful, his grinning face like a kid..."NIS IS GOOOO." Next time I'll up the ginger a little as it was almost undetectable but otherwise this is going into the permanent files. THANKS.
FABULOUS!! These were the nicest lemon bars/squares that I have made recently.........funnily enough my mum makes a similar recipe with ginger, but no coconut. I made these exactly as posted, and they turned out perfectly. Made for PAC Spring 2008 - a real keeper thanks Elly! FT :-) P.S. Two large lemons gave me the required zest and juice needed for this recipe.