This recipe came from a restaurant in New Milford, CT. So easy and delicious with the use of a food processor!
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
- Position rack in top third of oven.
- Mix flour, 1 cup sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, lemon peel and salt in food processor.
- Add butter and cut in, using on/off turns, until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Whisk egg, and lemon juice in medium bowl to blend.
- Add flour mixture.
- Using on/off turns, process until moist clumps form.
- Add 1/3 cup milk.
- Using on/off turns, process just until dough comes together, adding more milk if dough seems dry.
- Using floured hands, gather dough into ball.
- Flatten to 8" round.
- Cut round into 8 wedges.
- Transfer scones to large baking sheet; brush with milk.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 tbs sugar.
- Bake until scones are golden brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- Transfer to rack and cool.
- (Can be made one day ahead. Store airtight at room temperature).