Recipe by echo echo
This was a Pillsbury Bake-Off Prizewinner many years ago. The name of the woman who invented it was Phyllis Lidert. Preparation time includes cooling time.
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
OMG this is a wonderful cake, my family simply loved it! I increased the lemon juice to 1/4 cup, and used 4 whole eggs and 4 egg yolks for a richer denser cake... this cake really rises nice and high, great cake recipe echo!...thanks Kitten:)
- 2 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 cups butter, softened (NOT margarine)
- 6 eggs
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, grated
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 (12 1/2 ounce) package poppy seed filling
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, beat sugar with butter until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs 1 at time, beating well at medium speed after each addition.
- Beat in lemon peel and juice.
- At low speed, gradually beat in flour and baking powder.
- In medium bowl, blend 3 cups of the batter with poppy seed filling.
- Spread half of plain batter in bottom of ungreased 10” tube or bundt pan.
- Using a large serving spoon, alternately add spoonfuls of poppy seed batter and rest of plain batter.
- Bake at 350°F approximately 1¼ hour until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool 15 minutes, then remove from pan.
- Cool about 1 hour until all cooled.
- Blend together glaze ingredients; if necessary, add more lemon juice for desired drizzling consistency.
- Drizzle glaze over cake.