Lemon-Poppy Seed Pound Cake
- Ready In:
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup poppy seed
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated lemons, zest of
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease 9x5-inch loaf pan with softened butter and dust with flour.
- In medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- Take 1 tablespoon of flour mixture and toss with poppy seeds in a small bowl, set aside.
- Melt butter (I use microwave--but be sure not to leave it in too long or it will bubble over).
- In food processor, process sugar and zest until combined--just a few short pulses.
- Add lemon juice, eggs and vanilla; process until combined, about 5 seconds.
- With machine running, add melted butter through feed tube (this should take about 20 seconds).
- Transfer mixture to large bowl.
- Sift flour mixture over eggs in thirds, whisking gently after each addition until just combined.
- Gently fold in poppy seeds until evenly incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°F and continue baking until deep golden brown and skewer inserted in center comes out clean (about 35 minutes).
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn onto a wire rack and brush on Lemon Glaze, if desired.
- Cool to room temperature.
- For glaze: While loaf is cooling, bring sugar and lemon juice to a boil in a small nonreactive saucepan, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened slightly, about 2 minutes.
- After removing cake from pan, poke entire top and sides with a toothpick.
- Brush top and sides of cake with glaze.
- I like to do this while cake is on cooling rack over sink or waxed paper as it can be messy!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Instructions require food processor--you might not have the same results without. Make with poppy seeds or without. Juice and zest requires 2-3 lemons. You can also use this same recipe to make Orange Pound Cake, substituting orange zest and orange juice (and leaving out the poppy seeds). From Fine Cooking, Spring 2002.