Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
Yummy. I've been looking for a new cake to make and this recipe sounds delish! This is a healthier cake and would be vegan, but there is honey added. From "The Best of Silver Hills Delicious Vegetarian Cuisine" cookbook.
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon lemon flavoring
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon peel, finely grated
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- Blend first 6 ingredients in blender until smooth.
- Pour blended mixture into a large bowl and add flour and baking powder. Mix well.
- In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, pecans and lemon peel.
- Pour maple syrup into the bottom of an oiled 8" x 8" cake pan.
- Sprinkle pecan mixture over maple syrup. Then spoon cake batter on top of pecans. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Turn cake out of pan and let cool.
This is so yummy!!! I was very lucky to find this, as Engrossed is right this would be quite expensive to make but I am moving house right now and had pecans and maple syrup I needed to use up. I made this as we are spending our last night in this house and moving tomorrow and I wanted something to keep for a snack tomorrow so we did not have to use oven or stove or microwave again after cleaning. We tried some tonight after hours of packing and cleaning and boy did it go down well.Very tasty, delicious and satisfying. I am very glad we have this for tomorrow be it for breakfast or a mid morning snack. It will be sure to keep us going
until we get to our temporary accommodation tomorrow. I will look forward to making this again for my family in Europe when we get there as I know they will love it. A really yummy cake recipe Enjolinfam and I will definitely be enjoying this again in the future.
WONDERFUL! This recipe is interesting, different and yummy! It also is a bit expensive but worth it. The cake part has a nice light lemon flavor and the topping turns out like caramel with pecans in it. I did use only 2 tbsp of Splenda brown sugar blend and part acacia honey, part buckwheat honey and some agave nectar. Freddy Cat says thanks for the sweets! Made for the Zaar recipe tag game.