Recipe by Jen T
A nice light lemon flavoured muffin that is good to have for morning or afternoon tea, or, as a dessert served with some whipped cream and maybe some fresh berries.
Top Review by Folk Dancer
This is a wonderful light muffin, and it is very forgiving. When I made it I made two mistakes, one involving the melted butter and cold milk, the other was reading the temperature incorrectly. It didn't matter, I adjusted the temperature after cooking for 10 minutes, cooked it a little longer and it turned out fine. I will try this again with limes and also with oranges.
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 75 g butter, melted
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 large lemon, zest of
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Toss the 1st measure of sugar & flour together in a bowl.
- Beat with a fork the melted butter, milk and egg until well combined.
- Add the lemon zest & stir to mix .
- Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and mix carefully until just combined.
- Spray 12 medium size muffin tins with non-stick spray and then divide mixture evenly between them.
- Bake for 10 - 15 minutes at 200 degrees Celsius (depends on your oven).
- Meanwhile stir together the 2nd measure of sugar and lemon juice without dissolving the sugar.
- Pour over hot muffins as soon as they come out of the oven.
- Leave for a couple of minutes but do not leave too long in tins as they may stick.