Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
The best tasting Lemon Mernigue Pie you will have have the occassion to taste.
- 1 9 inch baked pie shell
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch, clearjel (Modified Food Starch)
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch (Clear-JELL- or Smart and final sells it under modified food starch label)
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 3 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- Mix 1 1/4 cups sugar and 6 TBS cornstarch together in the top of a double boiler.
- Add the two cups of water.
- combine egg yolks with lemon juice and beat until well mixed.
- Add to the previously mixted sugar cornstarch and water.
- Cook over boiling water until thick--- about 25 minutes (I use a heavy cast aluminum pan with a low heat. I don;t like cooking with double boiler) I stir conntinuously with a wire wisk until thickened.
- Turn heat off.
- Add butter, vinegar, and lemon extract and stir till thoroughly blended and butter is melted.
- Pour mixture into 9-inch pie shell and let cool.
- Cover with Meringue and brown in oven.
- NEVER FAIL MERINGUE Blend 4 TBS cornstarch and the 2 TBS of cold water in a sauce pan.
- Add 1/2 cup boiling water and cook stirring until clear and thickened.
- Let stand until COMPLETELY COLD.
- With electric beater at high speed, beat egg whites until foamy.
- Gradually add 6 TBS sugar and beat until stiff but not dry.
- This is the part that was hardest for me cause you just have to use your own judgement.
- If the peaks stand straight up when you lift the beaters it is too much.
- You want the peaks to lift up when you take the beaters out and then gentlyfold over on the tops.
- Kinda like a soft serve ice cream cone.
- Turn mixer to low speed, add salt and vanilla.
- Gradually beat in cold cornstarch mixture.
- Turn mixer to high again and beat well.
- Spread meringue over cooled pie filling.
- Bake at 350* for 12 minutes or until top is browned.