Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
I love tart and sweet - lemon meringue is a classic.
Make and share this Lemon Meringue Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 10-inch pie shells or 9 inch pie shell, refrigerated
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemons, zest of
- 4 large egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line refrigerated pie crust with wax paper and fill with dried beans or pie weights; bake shell in middle of oven 10 minutes; remove paper and weights and bake shell until golden, about 12 minutes longer; cool.
- Lower oven temperature to 350°F.
- For filling: In a medium saucepan, whisk together sugar, cornstarch and salt and gradually whisk in water and milk, whisking until cornstarch is dissolved; in a bowl whisk together egg yolks; cook milk mixture over medium heat, whisking, until it comes to a boil; gradually whisk about 1 cup milk mixture into yolks and whisk yolk mixture back into milk mixture remaining in saucepan; simmer, whisking, 3 minutes; remove pan from heat and whisk in butter, lemon juice and zest until butter is melted; press plastic wrap directly onto surface of custard.
- For meringue: Beat egg whites with cream of tartar and a pinch of salt until they hold soft peaks; beat in sugar in a slow stream, beating, until meringue just holds stiff peaks.
- Pour lemon custard into shell and spread meringue on top, covering filling completely and sealing it to pastry; draw meringue up into peaks and bake pie in middle of oven until meringue is golden, about 15 minutes; cool completely before serving.
What an awesome recipe! This could not have turned out more perfect! This will definitely be THE recipe for Lemon Meringue Pie in my book! Thank you for sharing!
Excellent pie...just enough tartness and the meringue was perfect. I used skim milk and it came out perfect. Thanks for sharing!!
This is a delicious pie. I made a graham cracker crust instead of a regular pie crust, and was out of milk, so I upped the water to 1 1/4 cups and used 1/4 cup of heavy cream. This was a birthday pie for my 78 year old mother, and she was wow'd by the perfect lemon taste. It was also beautiful. Thanks for a great recipe.