Recipe by Vseward (Chef~V)
This updated lemon bar, with its zingy lemon filling, is a favorite. The shortbread base is enhanced with buttery macadamia nuts
Top Review by Engrossed
The crust on this was GREAT and THICK. The lemon filling was more of a thin spread on the crust...it didn't firm up like most lemon bars. I was able to cut it into squares but half of the filling stuck to the knife which made them very messy. I used a blender and mixer for step 2. Made for Maynia Tag.
- 1 cup roasted salted macadamia nut
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cut up, softened
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 6 egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cut up, softened
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1⁄4 cup chopped macadamia nuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F Line 13x9-inch pan with foil so that foil hangs over edges. Cut 13x9-inch piece of parchment paper; place over foil in bottom of pan.
- Place 1 cup macadamia nuts and 3/4 cup sugar in food processor; pulse until nuts are finely ground. Add flour, butter and lemon peel; pulse until mixture is blended (dough will not form). Spread mixture in pan; press evenly to form crust. Prick dough all over with fork. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until pale brown. Cool completely.
- In heavy medium saucepan, whisk together egg yolks and 6 tablespoons sugar; whisk in lemon juice. Cook over medium heat 4 to 5 minutes or until thickened and temperature reaches 160°F Remove from heat; whisk in 1/4 cup butter and 1 teaspoon lemon peel. Place in small bowl; press plastic wrap directly on surface. Cool to room temperature; spread over crust. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup macadamia nuts. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.
- Remove bars by lifting foil ends. Slide bars with parchment paper liner onto cutting board. Cut into 36 pieces. Store in refrigerator.