Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
I love these with a cup of tea or with a scoop of sorbet. The yield depends on the size of cookie cutter you use. Chill time for the dough is not included.
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemons, rind of
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- powdered sugar
- Place butter in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- Add sugar and lemon peel, beating well.
- Add egg, vanilla extract, and salt.
- Continue beating until well blended.
- Gradually add flour, a cup at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Divide dough in half. Wrap each half in plastic nd refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes to an 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- On a floured pastry cloth or well floured surface, roll out half of the dough at a time to 1/4 inch thickness and cut with cookie cutters.
- Gather scraps and reroll until all dough is used.
- Place cut cookies on ungreased cookie sheets about 1 inch apart.
- Bake about 8 minutes or until golden brown around the edges.
- Transfer to a rack and cool 30 minutes.
- Sift powdered sugar over cookies.
These really did not work out for me at all. The lemon flavor did not come through. The cookies spread nearly off the baking sheet. The dough is very sticky, so I'm guessing it needs more flour. But the cookies that came out were hard. I'm not really sure how to fix them up. I'm really sorry they couldn't come out better. Made and Reviewed for Bargain Basement Tag